June 12, 2015

How does studying Law help a business professional ?

The day I enrolled myself to do an MBL from NLSIU, I have been plagued with questions.

Why am I studying Law ?
How do I expect it to help me in my career ?
How do I manage studying the flagship course of the best law school in India with a son who is 2 year old ?
Does it disrupt the work life balance ?

Reading and writing is my passion. I took a hiatus for a few years to be involved in building a family and watching my child grow. This was a fascinating stage and, you know that getting involved into the day to day rigarmarole of family life does leave an impact on your passions.

To get back to the question, Why am I studying Law ?
Reason no 1 would be, over the past 2 years, with a loving wife who added 20 kilos to my belly and an office which is just 6 km from home in Mumbai, I was sort of slipping into a comfort zone. Henkel, where I'am still working as I write the blog has been the organization where I have served the longest till date. So a nice family, a workplace close to home and a profession which I can just sleepwork. Time to get out of the comfort zone.

I personally need the rap and fear of exams to be able to divert my attention and bring it back to the world of books. Why Law ? During the 10 years of career, I have found that the only fear of any business man or corporate is to be caught on the wrong side of law. Apart from that this represents a challenge of epic proportions to me. Sit and study law OMG!!!

and ofcourse as a purchasing professional, I'am signing contracts and dealing with external agencies day in and day out. The last thing I want is to be personally or professionally on the wrong side of law as it damages both me and my organization. Further, many a time we know how to deal effectively with our partners so that we build a lasting relationship. For eg, when an offer is made and accepted a contract is deemed to have formed. So if one of the parties reneges on the promises, it can be brought up as a breach of contract. How many times, in your career have you had a purchaser or a seller renege on the promises made and accepted by just dropping a simple mail to you ?

You seem so helpless!!! Not anymore really. I can give countless examples where a thorough knowledge of business law helps a business professional deal effectively in every negotiation.

How do I expect this to help me in my career ?

Don't you think I will be better respected and better able to close deals more favorable to the organization ?

How difficult is it to study a flagship course from the premier law school of India ?

No words, It is absolutely tough, but then if it were so easy would we be proud of doing it ? The best thing to do is be disciplined, babies need more sleep than adults this is the only mantra I can suggest to you. You study 1-2 hrs everyday that should do the job for you.

Does it disrupt work life balance ?

Well it is both a yes and a no. Yes because you need to spare an hour or two and as the exams near you need to be absolutely focussed on the subjects. No because you can still spare sufficient time with your loved ones if you can sacrifice a bit of the news hour and a bit of other activities to ensure that you still get to maintain your balance. Just that the balance shifts.

So I shall keep writing, you can keep reading!!!

No comments: